So, it’s a Monday at the time of writing this and I’m feeeeling the mania! *Siri/Alexa/whatever your name is - play ‘It’s just another Manic Monday’ by The Bangles*
BUT, this is not just any Monday, it’s the first day of Mental Health Awareness Month ‘23 🥳 which might seem like a time of celebration to you. The thing is, because I work in mental health, it’s actually a pretty anxiety-inducing event (silly, I know 😢)! I feel like I have to make the most of it because it’s the one time people will take mental health seriously and I have to say the perfect thing to help everyone understand why this is so important etc etc etccc.
Now, I know that’s not entirely true. Howeverr, it’s so easy for me to slip into a spiral of anxious thinking. That’s why it’s so fitting that this MHAW’s theme is: ‘Anxiety’!
Anxiety’s a huuuge topic so at How Mental, we’ve decided to zone in on ‘career-related anxiety’ because god KNOWS the kind of pressure we put on ourselves when it comes to work. It’s mad how much we centre our identity (and tbh our lives!) around our job.
Of course, don’t get me wrong, work is important - but it’s NOT everything - and our relationship with it needs to be “managed” (pun unintended!) to make sure it doesn’t compromise our wellbeing. 👌👌👌
A whopping 83% of people in the US feel stressed about their work!! And anxiety is a VERY common response to stress - so you can imagine, how many of us get anxious about it.
Work reflects so many different emotional challenges within ourselves: from our ‘sense of purpose’ in life, to literally making enough money to survive… And when the bill comes through for work-related anxiety: it’s ALWAYS high! 😵
All-in-all, it’s time we bring more awareness to our relationship with work and explore what we can do to have a healthier balance with it; and within ourselves!
Me and the team have come up with a bunch of different actions you can take to explore work-related anxiety in your life and discover if any of them help your mind! You’ll find them below…
We’ll be taking action TOGETHER as one big, fat, mental family: MILLIONS of people around the planet. Why? Because we don’t need to do this alone, my love 😘
We’ll be sharing content throughout the month with tips & tricks to help everyone take the actions they need. Be sure to check out our Insta for all the latest!
Oh and last but certainly not least: we’ll be sharing a short form for everyone to fill in with what actions they took and reflect on if they were helpful/not. And at the end of the Month, we’ll count up how much we all did and share what we achieved as a team!
Remember, if you don’t do anything that’s absolutely fine, promise! This is NOT a test, just an opportunity to take care of our minds with friends around the world 🥰🌍🧠
So, are you ready to join the Mental Explorers on our journey into the world of work-related anxiety?!
Below are the actions you can take, why they could be good for you and how you might go about it!
You don’t have to do everything at once (in fact, I’d advise against it!!) just pick the ones you think will help most right now and see what happens…here we go:
1. Identify your 3 biggest work-related stressors 🧐 Take some time to really think about what parts of your job stress you out the most. Once you have a clear idea of what’s bothering you the most, you can come up with an action plan for alleviating some of that stress!
2. Create a budget 📊 Start tracking your income and expenses to get a better understanding of where your money is going. Then, set a budget that outlines your monthly income, expenses, and savings goals!
3. Start saving 💰 Whether it’s $5, $50, or $500 a month, getting into the habit of saving some money each month can help you build a better future in the long run. Contribute what you can this month! It can help build an emergency fund and provide a sense of security.
4. Set boundaries 🛑 Set clear boundaries between work and personal time. Avoid checking emails or taking calls outside of work hours! If you find yourself doing work outside of your paid hours, advocate for yourself to get paid for that extra work! Nothing in life is free, that includes YOU and YOUR time!
5. Simplify your finances 🔍 Automate bills and set up direct deposit to simplify your finances and reduce the stress of managing multiple accounts.
6. Get moving during the day 🏃 Take a walk on your lunchbreak or do some stretching here and there to help boost your energy levels and reduce tension in your muscles.
7. Find purpose ✨ Identify what gives you a sense of purpose and fulfillment in your work, and focus on those aspects to help you stay motivated and engaged. Take some time to reflect: Is this what you want to be doing? Is this bringing you closer to feeling fulfilled in life? Are you proud of the work you do?
8. Pay off debt 💸 If you have debt, make a plan to pay it off as soon as possible! This helps reduce the financial stress that comes with owing money.
9. Get professional help 🤝 Reach out to a financial advisor, accountant, or therapist to get advice and support in managing your finances and reducing financial anxiety.
10. Learn about personal finance 📚 Educate yourself on personal finance topics like investing, credit, and taxes. This can help you make informed decisions and feel more confident about your financial situation.
That’s it! 10 actions. Take them at your own speed and let’s make a REAL difference this Mental Health Awareness Month.
Remember, self-care is NOT selfish! By understanding ourselves better, we’re better able to help the people around us. On this crazy trip we call ‘life’, we can all do with a helping hand or two. So, don’t be afraid to share this article with anyone else who might be interested and get them involved!
We’ll be releasing loads more content to help you become the best MADvocate you can be! Just sign up to our newsletter in the footer of this page or on our homepage for all the latest mental goodness.
I love you ❤️
STAY SANE 😉
George, Founder of How Mental